Tuesday, April 3, 2012

500 Days of Summer - One of my favorite movies


I am giving you a moment to make fun of one of my favorite movie choices......................................................... and thats it! 

Ok so the reason I love this movie is mainly the story. If you have never seen it I suggest it, its visually striking and the soundtrack behind it is amazing ( ill get into that later on ). Everytime this movie is on I have to watch it no matter what scene it is on. 

A brief synopsis of the movie is about a guy named Tom who falls in love with a girl named Summer and their up and down relationship that follows. It follows back and forth between the great times and turmoil and then the actions he takes to try to move on and get over her. 



The first lines by the narrator completely set the tone for the movie

"This is a story of boy meets girl. The boy, Tom Hansen of Margate, New Jersey, grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total mis-reading of the movie 'The Graduate'. The girl, Summer Finn of Shinnecock, Michigan, did not share this belief. Since the disintegration of her parent's marriage she'd only love two things. The first was her long dark hair. The second was how easily she could cut it off and not feel a thing. Tom meets Summer on January 8th. He knows almost immediately she is who he has been searching for. This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story"


Its such a dark romance that makes me happy and sad at the same time. This time when I watched the movie I wanted to pay more attention the way they use music to really make the scenes. 


Two scenes really stuck out to me. First the obvious one: 


The scene is such a happy up beat singing dancing selection that it makes you all happy go lucky inside. Well it does for me. 


NEXT 


This one is the complete opposite and might be one of my favorite scenes to any movie. Its about Tom going to a party expecting to swoon Summer back only to find that Reality is nothing like you imagines it. Enjoy "Expectaion vs Reality" I call it 3 minutes of heartbreak ( I apologize for the crappy subtitles but the left side is Reality the right is Expectation) 


I just love the style it was shot with the music, and the dialogue. Its seriously one of my favorite favorite scenes to one of my favorite movies. 


Hope you enjoyed your crash course on 500 Days of Summer and how I found music can really make or break a movie. Have you ever seen it? 

1 comment:

  1. Well...mindon't have to agree with all your choices.mlet's agree to disagree on 500 days
    8 points

    ReplyDelete