Friday, February 10, 2012

Modern Art - My Favorite Pieces

This week really opened up my eye into Modern art since I really never studied or looked at it.

In my last blog post most of my works I choose were so dark and grim, while this weeks are full of color and meaning.

That why I especially love the first piece Woman with a Parasol by Henri Matisse. We briefly looked at in class but out of all the Matisse slides this is the one that stuck with me. I love the negative space and the colors and how these small colorful brush strokes create this beautiful elaborate painting. I am dying to see this in person. I really cant get over the style in which he wanted it.


My next favorite was Picasso's Girl Before a Mirror. I think how radical the picture is with they style of cubism but at the same time its so traditional since it is a girls portrait. The colors are so striking and so is the depth through the mirror. The many faces of the women two are just amazing, almost catching different personalties of her.


My all time favorite artist that we covered this week was Salvador Dali. I have seen his work before and I am so intrigued at how surreal it is. Nothing makes sense, yet it does. The imagery and scenes he create can cause you to get completely lost in the work and have no idea what you are looking at. I love the sense of confusion I get from it. I can stare at the same painting multiple times and get a different perspective and emotion from it. There is something about how I connect with his work that just drives me mad. Its beautiful and striking at the same time. My favorite is Shades of Night Coming Down. Its an amazing oil piece that just shows how deep the picture is and how you can put so little on it and it could mean so much.

1 comment:

  1. Good choices and yes, much brighter than last week.
    Look into Dali a bit, he really was a showman. I wouoldn't be surprised to find out lady gaga is inspired by him.. Not just his work but his performances too.
    Good work! 10 points

    ReplyDelete